Here are some tips that will help you learn and progress in the Korean language…
1. Watch Korean Dramas: Watching Korean dramas is a good way to get exposure to the language and observe a situation being played out while listening to the Korean. When you can watch some activity going on it helps to give context to what you are hearing.
2. Learn Korean Pop Songs: Write out the lyrics to your favorite K Pop song. Listen to the song and everyday look over the lyrics and sing them to yourself. There is something amazing about the way a song can help unlock the key to learning a language.
3. Listen and Repeat: First you will need to find a Korean movie on dvd that has Korean subtitles. I found lots of these movies in Yongsan in the heart of Seoul. Yongsan is a big venue for electronics in Seoul. As you are watching your movie, first watch it without subtitles and find a sentence you would like to practice. Listen to the sentence on your laptop and then pause the movie and try to repeat what was just said. Listen again to the same sentence and try and repeat. Do this about 10 to 20 times. Then write down what you think you heard. And then go back and listen again and check what you wrote down with what they are saying, until you think are almost totally accurate. Now you can turn on the subtitles and check what you wrote down with what they actually said. Now listen and repeat the actual sentence after hearing it. This will strengthen your comprehension. Next, get a Korean friend to translate the sentence and tell you its meaning.
4. Get a grammar book: Find a good Korean grammar book and start learning some grammar and practice it with your Korean friends. If you check my previous posts, I recommend some really good books for learning Korean. If you already have a grammar book, keep reviewing it, but find some new material to study. It is always a good thing to learn something new. If all you are doing is reviewing old material, you will start getting stagnant. Its amazing how your brain starts using old things you learned, when you start introducing new things to it. Keep your learning fresh and new. If you don’t understand some grammar, don’t stress. Let is go, and it will come back to you…
5. http://www.TalkToMeInKorean.com: This is the most amazing online resource for learning that I have ever found. Visit this site often!
6. Translate a Korean book into your native tongue: Find a simple novel or a storybook with pictures and translate it. Then get your Korean friend to check your work.
7. Learn new vocabulary: When you are out on the town with your friends or just by yourself, bring a note pad with you and write down words you see that are unfamiliar to you. Then, if your Korean is already good enough get a Korean friend to explain it to you in the Korean Language, not your native tongue. This is very effective.
8. CONVERSATE!: The most important thing you can do in Korean is to speak it! If you don’t practice speaking what you know, you will never progress. Even if you are incorrect in your sentences, start speaking anyway. GET IT OUT! It is okay to fail and it is okay to make mistakes! How did you learn to walk when you were a baby? You got up and fell down again and again, until finally one day, you stood!
9. http://www.HaruKorean.com: This is a website where you can study a lesson, practice writing a Korean sentence and get your sentences checked by native speakers. Excellent resource!~
10. You cannot succeed until you FAIL!: You cannot succeed until you fail over and over and over again. So let go of your fears and worries. No body is perfect. Accept your short comings and be free to make mistakes. It is the best way to live life. Get out of your cage and live!